An investigation by the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service into a fire that broke out in a block of flats has found that a faulty mobility scooter battery was the cause.

The incident took place on 30 September 2020 when a neighbour saw smoke appearing from the window of a ground floor flat in St Matthews.

Firefighters rushed to the scene where they found a resident unconscious inside the residence.

Advertisement | Continue story below

According to a report by the Leicester Mercury, the man was immediately taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham by the East Midlands Ambulance Service but was later pronounced dead.

An investigation into the fire by the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service has stated the cause of the blaze was a faulty battery in a mobility scooter.

As reported by the Leicester newspaper, a spokeswoman for the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said: “I can confirm that the cause of the fire was accidental – failure of lithium batteries located inside a mobility scooter.

“We received a call from a resident stating they could see smoke from a nearby flat.

“Crews forced entry and found a male casualty who was unconscious.

“The casualty was taken to Queens Medical Centre but sadly passed away in the early hours on Wednesday 30 September.”

“A fire investigation was completed that day, and damage was 100% to a mobility scooter by fire, 30% to property by fire.”

It is not yet known if the battery was OEM or non-OEM.

THIIS has approached the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Services for more information and is awaiting comment.

THIIS ROUND-UP
Join the 2,500+ mobility professionals who stay informed with THIIS' twice-weekly industry updates.
We respect your privacy
https://i2.wp.com/thiis.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/fire-engine.jpg?fit=900%2C600&ssl=1https://i2.wp.com/thiis.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/fire-engine.jpg?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1Calvin BarnettNewsroomSector NewsEast Midlands Ambulance Service,faulty battery,fire,Leciestershire Fire and Rescue Service,Leicestershire,lithium battery,mobility scooter,non-OEM,OEMAn investigation by the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service into a fire that broke out in a block of flats has found that a faulty mobility scooter battery was the cause.The incident took place on 30 September 2020 when a neighbour saw smoke appearing from the window of a...News, views & products for mobility, access and independent living professionals